THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Attendance Counselor
LOCATION: St. Croix District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: August 29, 2016
Starting Salary: $ 20,239.00 -$30,427 GRADE: EC-10
Union: AFT – Support Staff Unit
An individual selected for this position, will be working as a sub-professional investigative social worker, at the full performance level which involves continuous follow up on student absenteeism from school.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE):
- Receives and reviews reports of extended and unexplained absences of students from school;
- Consults with parents who have irregular or unusual attendance patterns;
- Assists in directing parents to the appropriate resource personnel or agencies when resources outside the school and home are needed;
- Works in closely coordinated efforts with members of school guidance teams, administrators, nurses and School Psychologists;
- Keeps case records and provided summaries or written referrals to appropriate agencies;
- Follows established policies and procedures for referring the case to the Department of Social Welfare for available assistance;
- Identify the various causes of absenteeism (e.g. economic problems);
- Assists the Department of Social Welfare in obtaining case reports on problems involving school absenteeism;
- Prepares and presents before the police and court, cases of chronic violation of school law as it relates to school attendance;
- Performs other related work as required;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of school law, especially as it relates to school attendance;
- Considerable knowledge of theory, techniques, and procedures of social case- work;
- Knowledge of the procedures involved in maintaining accurate records;
- Ability to exercise patience and deal tactfully with students and parents;
- Ability to recognize and assemble pertinent information gained from interviews;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with all persons contacted during the course of the work;
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment in carrying out functions of the position.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of the 12th grade or GED and five (5) progressive years of varied experience in dealing with the public.
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at www.vide.vi and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
****DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, THE DEPARTMENT WILL NOTIFY ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SELECTED
FOR THE NEXT STEP IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. ****
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.